Although it was not common, nor was it considered unusual for a clergyman to own or run a vineyard, whether for the production of consecration wines or not.
The identification of El Puerto de Santa María with wine production is such that being directly or indirectly linked to a vineyard or a winery was common regardless of occupation or social status.
It was Crisanto-Miguel Winthuyssen Tisio (a priest) who formed this vineyard with a plot of land received from his parents, Juan-Bautista Winthuyssen Gallo and Juana-Estefanía Tisio Salas, in 1752, and another from María-Teresa Trapiero, in 1765.
The important businessman José-María López Martínez (great landowner, winemaker, merchant and knight of the Royal Cavalry Order of Ronda and councillor of the Town Hall of El Puerto) bought it in 1820, planted it with new vines and built the part of the house and reservoir.
It seems that it was he who gave it the name of La Tula (an abbreviated variant of Gertrudis), in memory of his first wife: María-Gertrudis de Salas.
The vineyard was later inherited by Vicente Urruela Castrisiones.